Monday 3 December 2012

Very bad wine


Of an evening at my parents, a bottle of Tesco’s on offer Chablis, Maison Fort du Roi. A brand name made by Paul SapinSA, of which more later.

It was (well still is as the bottle is unfinished) insipid, bland with a soapy sort of taste that just about alludes to it’s provenance as a Northern French chardonnay. I like Chablis, a lot, and as such I’m taking this as a personal insult, it’s really, really bad. A bit like discovering that your favourite aunt was actually Boris Johnson hiding behind a prosthetic mask, the shock and revulsion of what lay behind the label was actually physically revolting.

So back to Paul Sapin, they appear to be a large winemaker looking to cash in on the growth in the market for smaller bottle sizes and PET plastic bottles. Quite why Tesco chose them for this product line I’ve no idea, though, if you asked me whether I wanted to list a Chablis at this price I’d probably point at something in the direction of the window shout out in mock horror then run for the door whilst everyone was distracted.

Very bad wine. Sorry. 

2 comments:

winey brett said...

It isn't you who should be apologising!

Unknown said...

I like Chablis, a slumped bottles lot, and as such I’m taking this as a personal insult, it’s really, really bad.